Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Some would say, 'Its about Time!"


Well we finally had all the stars line up and Lizzie got her Braces. we were waiting for baby teeth, money, the right Doc, possibility of Insurance and well just life. Yesterday Lizzie and I went to the Orthodontist and even though she has been so excited since the first visit, she got really nervous when it came down to it. She did great. Its not like it used to be thats for sure. It didnt really hurt at all she said. and she was super excited to get her bite plate that she was able to 'design herself'. a Bite plate looks like a retainer, but helps her line her teeth up better. its sparkly yellow with a spotted puppy in it. I know your jealous, its pretty cool. Poor thing though, today her teeth really hurt, and thats because the teeth are actually already moving. amazing. But all and all she is happy and she really likes them. I am proud of her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a trooper....hope she is doing okay...love you lizzie pooh...

Brenda said...

Good luck to Lizzie!! Braces can be so painful...hope you have lots of ice cream and mashed potatoes! Can't wait to see her shinny smile!

ERIN said...

I told her the other day how cute her braces were on her and she just got this little, " i know it!"
look that was just so sweet.
I'm happy for her.She deserves a nice set of gorgeous teeth!

Smith Family said...

I didn't know she was getting braces! I would've given her (you) the same advice I gave Charisa and Brooklyn when they got theirs!
For all future appointments;


* Take ibuprofen an hour before the appointment, then acetaminophen (tylenol) when the appt. is over (or about 2 hours after the ibu.) then more ibu's a few hours after that. Keep on top of pain meds for the rest of the day. (You can alternate ibu and tylenol every few hours.)

* Eat a filling meal before you go, because it will hurt to eat later. (trust me)

* For meals after appointments; scrambled eggs are your friend. (good protein too, which will fill you up longer, so you won't have to eat as much when your mouth is sore!) Life cereal is your friend too. (carbs) It gets nice and soft without getting that nasty "soggy cereal" taste. Other good things are mashed potatoes and ice cream. (though I don't recommend them together.)

* No more chewing ice. And crunchy tacos always popped mine off. No caramels, nuts, or toffee either. (I know, Christmas is gonna suck!)And be careful with any gum you choose. Bubble gum is super sticky and hard to get out of braces.

* Take a toothbrush to school and sneak away to do a quick brush after lunch. You don't have to use paste if you don't want to, really your just getting all the food out of your braces. If you can't brush, at least do a really good swish with water.

* If they give you little wax sticks or pieces, don't be afraid to use them, they will save your cheeks from getting all torn up from any little wires poking out.

* And finally, choose your rubber band colors carefully! Red can make you look like your mouth is bleeding. Darker greens look like spinach stuck in your teeth, yellow can reflect weird and make your teeth look yucky, and orange... well.. who wants an orange mouth? I always went with blue or pink!

I hope the knowledge and experience of my 5 years of wearing braces, (yes, count them five!) will come in handy! Good luck!