Monday, February 22, 2010

Catch up!

As promised I am catching up on my Blog. I guess I'll start with our Big News about Katie Jo. Katie Jo starting walking a little over a month ago! a little unsteady at first but now she does great with it and is trying to pick up speed sometimes as well. Katie has been having Seizures since she was about 8 months old. Not the drop on the floor, eyes rolling back kind, more like a weird head bob with her arms strecthed out in front of her kind. They got worse and worse and pretty soon she was having them 8 to 10 a day. the weird thing was, we could actually set them off as well. if you tapped her head or she bumped it, sh'de do it. My Doc sent us to a ped neurologist who ran lots of test like EEG's and an MRI and found that yes, they were seizures but not the really horrible ones, that can leave a permanent trail on the brain. She is now on meds and after playing with the doses a bit she has been basically, seizure free for 7 weeks. Pretty amazing. :) Which is why walking is so cool. She has been able to get around for a while now, with a funny little scoot, but the walking is all new. and she has even started to really babble alot lately, its very exciting. No real words yet, but when you go from just grunts to real babble? life is sweet. She is in speech therapy and we are learning baby sign language as another form of communicating. I am so thankful for Doctors and for Medicine and for the blessings that they both bring to our family. My only problem now is keeping her in the shopping cart!



7 comments:

IandS said...

Awww! Sweet Katie-Jo. So glad you have meds to help. I have a friend whose daughter has seizures and hers are "low key" like Katie-Jo's. Her eyes glaze over and go to the side and that's it. We're thankful that she gets meds too so that she doesn't have to experience this. The only times she has a seizure is when she outgrows her dosage.

Anonymous said...

what is that, yogurt?...our jojobean all growed up...in case you didn't know...but here at the Taunima household...jojo bean is our baby, too...so glad the meds finally worked...that's thing with medical...process of elimination to see what meds and what doses works best...jojobean certainly has our hearts!!

Craziest Cottrell said...

Wow...she is so big! I am so excited for you guys! What a difference when they can walk with you instead of having to be carried. We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I agree with good doctors and medicines! I feel your pain! And I didn't know- based on the last picture- that you could put highlights in a young childs hair! Sorry, just trying to make light of the situation! Love you! You are a great mommy!

krista said...

Sweet Katie Jo, I had no idea. I am so glad you found good doctors to take care of her. She is adorable walking. I taught Zach baby sign, it was so fun and great because he could communicate while we waited for his speech to develop. Great that you can take her to a professional, she will learn a lot.
Gice her a big squeeze from us.

Brenda said...

I didn't know Miss Katie-Jo had seuzures. Megan and Malinda both had seizures...the BIG ones! Medication is such a MIRACLE!!! She is adorable!

gayle said...

So glad the meds are working, and I'm sure she will blossom with speech therapy. What is in her hair and who did that to her?